Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Walking the line with Guiltless Grewal

   
As The Higher Engineering Mathematics by B.S. Grewal(wow!!I am astounded at the fact that I have managed to learn by heart atleast the name of the book in almost three semesters, if not its contents :P) lies open on my lap without me glancing at it  even once in the past one and a half hour, as the film, ''Walk The Line" goes on in the background of this blogger update page, with the legendary Ring of Fire playing on in yet another background citing the orange-white striped road blockage sign, I am really getting into the feel of my yet another shapeless, spineless attempt at giving words to the colossal fervor of chemical stringing and unbinding going on inside the negligible amount of grey cells that I actually use.
Phew!!My English teacher would have "face-massacred" me right now if she would have spotted the number of words in the sentence above. She always put a word limit to my passages, essays and recently, my sentences. Technically trying to improve my hold on the subject, and inspite of all my due respects to her in that regard from the bottom of my heart, I found, and still find it morally unethical. Yes, not exactly technical I am when it comes to English (and even engineering, much to the remorse of my exam papers. That fateful day isn't very far when I would write the story of Pyaar Ka Punchnama in my Basic Electronics paper, making BIT more celebrated than Datta Meghe College which cited DDLJ!!).


Yes, Walk the Line it is.
As the film starts with the life of young Johnny Cash raised amidst meadows and farmlands, portraying his dad in a poor light over the future of his to-be-famous genius kid, Cash junior and then lengthens into the beginning of his career as a gospel-country-singer and performer, leaving behind his earlier career in air-force, I begin to notice the bias the film against his first wife Vivian Liberto. This bias can be justifiably understood as the co-producer of the film is the only son of the couple Johnny and June Carter Cash, who basically wanted to showcase the one-of-its kind love-story of his parents. Not denying the fact that the film is an excellent attempt to do the same and has done complete justice to its cause, I can't help feeling a tangible discomfort at the shrew image of Liberto that the film has cooked up. This somewhat scrupulously compelled me to sneak some peeks into the book by Vivian Liberto Distin, called "I Walked the Line: My Life with Johnny", which is her version of the life, lies and love she shared with the country-king. The major manifestation that this book has managed to achieve is the directly quoted, over "10,000 pages of love-letters" the young couple had shared when Cash was away in Germany, on a three-year tour as a US air-force employee.

 As that deserved not a brief, but a detailed towering over, I sat down(taking tips of course, as my teenage rushes away from me faster than ever before :) ) reading major chunks of it. The letters fastidiously evade the profuse negligence the film has illustrated within the character of Liberto, also defying the psychotic musing as a typical, non-loving and uninterested celebrity-housewife image shown. Vivian seemed to be as much irrevocably in love with Cash, as June Carter was, in the twilight of her life, if not more. True, June Carter was the impersonation of Cash's dream, but Viv was no less than the pioneer of the same. Vivian only blamed Johnny's new-found career when he fell a victim to extensive drug abuse, as a result of his unsuccessful attempts at drawing parallels between his flailing family life and the steep-rise of his music career. As the film almost follows a sine curve of impression for me because I incessantly flip between I walked the line and walk the line, failing to enjoy the essence of either of them.

I finally conclude and decide to return back to my Cursed Grewal with the cessation that I have executed to stumble across two unprecedented masterpieces canvassing both the sides of a Fiery ringed-coin===>Johnny Cash.

3 comments: